March 2, 2013


Turkey bacon; 1% milk

100% whole wheat bagel, smoked salmon cream cheese, capers,
english cucumber, tomato, romaine lettuce, sea salt, pepper

banana (smallish)


coffee, cream, raw brown sugar (medium - I drank about 1/3 of it) 

red and green seedless grapes; 4% yogurt sweetened
with honey (didn't eat sugary fruit bottom part)

1% milk; 11-grain bread, crunchy natural peanut butter, sea salt 

homemade shepherd's pie (extra lean ground beef, onion, evoo, sea salt, pepper,
dried thyme, Worcestershire sauce, veggie broth (from bouillon cube), whole wheat flour,
carrots, frozen peas, yukon gold potatoes, 1% milk, whole grain dijon mustard,
onion powder, mustard powder, paprika, dried parsley)

second helping of shepherd's pie (split this with Wilson)

dark chocolate filled with raspberry cream, milk chocolate filled with coffee cream
(split this one with Wilson) - yes, these are the chocolates from work!


1% milk, sugar cookie with hard icing
(and icky food dye, yuck! split this with Wilson)
Notes: I worked an extra shift today, so maybe that explains why I was extra hungry? And yes, clearly my resolve weakened this evening (in anticipation of tomorrow's cheat day, maybe?) with a second helping of dinner and some sugary snacks (those free Vday leftovers from work I was talking about before) by way of dessert. Oh well, that just means an extra healthy breakfast tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Oy, I can see why those chocolates would have been so hard to resist! =9

    Everything looks really tasty, and I am intrigued by the paprika in the shepherd's pie! (I've never made shepherd's pie: is paprika standard, or a new twist?) It's a spice I'm curious to eat more of, but besides Hungarian food (i.e. goulash soup) and, like, devilled eggs, I have no idea what it goes in. Google, methinks it's time for a search . . . XD

    xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what, the chocolate was actually not that satisfying! (I guess that explains the cookie?) I am not a huge fan of filled chocolates, so maybe that's why... just find them too cloyingly sweet.

    I love paprika! It's one of my favourite spices, although we use a very mild kind that is either too old to have much punch or is just a mild variety. I'm not sure if paprika is standard for shepherd's pie or not. In this recipe it's just sprinkled on top, and I always thought it was more for appearance than for taste (I added the parsley for that reason, too). I also use paprika in a chicken spice-rub (with chili powder and brown sugar), Wilson uses it when he makes fish tacos, and my mom's classic crock-pot chicken is topped with paprika as well. That's how I grew up to be familiar with it - kind of a similar concept to the shepherd's pie, I guess. But in the case of the chicken, the recipe has very few ingredients so the paprika feels more like it's there to add to taste, as opposed to just looking pretty in the case of the shepherd's pie (which has more "overpowering" ingredients that overshadow the paprika). I used to put it in egg salad sometimes, too, but normally I use dijon mustard + sweet pickles + green onions instead, which always seems to be a crowd pleaser. :)

    ReplyDelete